Bonny Doon Vineyard
- Contra 2012
- Carignane, Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, Cinsault
- U.S.A. > California
- Red, Dry, Medium-Bodied, Fruity, Rich
- Be a contrarian. Drink your robust field blend on meatless Monday.
- Pair with an heirloom eggplant lasagna,
- a red lentil and sweet potato stew
- or a butternut squash, sage and mushroom casserole.
Eyes: Dark Purple
Nose: Medium-High Intensity, developing, black fruits, red fruits, spicy
Mouth: Medium-Full Bodied, dry, medium acidity, average tannin, moderate-high intensity, medium finish, blackberry, black cherry, licorice
- Named not from the Nicaraguan resistance covertly funded by the Reagan administration, but for the county (Contra Costa) from which Bonny Doon's ancient vine Carignane is grown. Or as Randall Grahm explains, "Contra is a somewhat contradictory... field blend that contravenes contraindicated convention... contraindicated for gastronomy, it is above all, contrapuntal."
Write Your Own Review